top of page
Queens Landing

Leith Shore Walking Tour

Leith Area Edinburgh

Leith area Edinburgh or originally inverlet ‘the mouth of the Water of Leith’ which was two villages one on each side of the river estuary North and South Leith which were first joined by a bridge in 1493 and the oldest building that remains is St Ninian’s at the shore. Leith was chartered to Edinburgh by Robert the Bruce in 1329 giving the powers of Edinburgh control of Leith. In 1920 Leith became a part of Edinburgh.

​

​The Leith Area Timeline

The first recorded mention of Leith was in 1143, when the area near the river estuary was granted to the Holyrood monks by David I. Known by the name Inverlet. Edward II mentions Leith in 1313 before the Battle of Bannockburn. The incorporation of institution of the Mariners’ happened in Leith 1380. Leith became a ship building area circa 1520. The French invaded Leith in 1548 for 12 years they took control. Finally in 1560 after many battles and a siege the French left Leith in the wake of destroying what they could. Mary Queen of Scots returned to Scotland from France in 1560 at the shore in Leith. Cromwell took control of Leith in 1650 and had a base at the Citadel.

 

Leith Area 17th Century On

The Bank of Leith opened in 1806 with its own Leith currency.  King George VI set foot on Scottish soil at the Shore invited by Sir Walter Scott in 1822. The “Leith Act” was passed by Parliament in 1827. Leith Nautical College was opened in 1855 the building resembling a ship. The Leith Improvement Act was passed in 1880.  A free home for retired Sailors’ was built in 1883 at the Shore. Now the building is a Hotel. The first trains arrived in Leith when Leith Central station opened at the junction of Leith Walk and Duke Street in 1903. Finally Leith became a part of Edinburgh in 1920.

bottom of page